Saturday, August 28, 2010

10 Freshman, 1 Co-counselor, 2.5 Days= Life-changing Experience

Inspiration comes in all shapes, sizes, and faces (literally...)


When I started my FOL experience as a counselor, I thought I would be the one to help and enlighten these in-coming freshman. I completely underestimated the fact that these 10 incredible people would actually inspire me...


...to be a better student, friend, church member, and person.


Throughout our two and a half days together, we (Co-counselor + me + new freshman friends) talked a lot about the upcoming year. We answered a lot of questions, told a lot of funny stories (my first kiss for example. If you haven't heard it, just ask one my new friends. They'd be more than happy to share), and shared a lot of insights about what it means to be leader and how we -- as BYU students today -- can lead now. 




In truth, being a good counselor was much harder than I predicted. I struggled to keep my heart and mind open, even though I desired more than anything to be the best mentor I could be to all of my new friends.  Little did I know that my new friends would be just the spark of hope I needed to pull myself out of my negativity and bring out the very best version of me.

My experience as an FOL counselor has taught me several insights.

1, all people are incredible and everyone has a story to tell. ERGO: seek to understand before being understood.

2, we are never alone; therefore, if I do my very best to prepare and perform, then God will make up for my idiosyncrasies.

3, a good leader is someone who inspires others to be Christlike. And, a good leader is someone who helps others see their full potential and helps them strive to become that person.

4,  other people have talents and strengths, too. And these talents are usually different from yours. So embrace others' uniqueness and see it as a building block, not a threat.

5, Eighteen year olds are incredible! They have so much hope for the future. So many insights. So much zest for life. Oh...how they make me smile. LISTEN to them. They have a lot to say, and you'd be surprised at how much they really do understand. I don't think they even realize how strong they actually are.

6, fear is totally the opposite of faith. Challenge your fears, always. And remember, you don't have to fight your daily battles alone.

7, True happiness comes when you follow your heart. When you are doing the right things, you will know what your heart truly desires. And when we really listen, and act on our righteous desires, then true happiness illuminates our soul.




I believe more than ever that God has a distinct plan for each of us. And in order to fulfill that plan, he blessed all his children with personality, spiritual gifts, talents, and unique character building experiences. All of which come together to form one incredible person who has the potential to be a great leader (remember, we defined a leader as someone who inspires others to come unto Christ).

I'm grateful for my new friends. I can't wait to see them succeed, and they surely will. Thank you, team Lightning, for your openness, your kindness, your enthusiasm, your awesome dance moves, your ambition, your beautiful dreams, your laughter, your personalities, your desire for unity, your humor, your teamwork, and your example of good leadership.

_______________________

FOL was the exact experience I needed to finish preparing (emotionally) for Fall semester. I actually had to laugh at myself because for the past few weeks, I was completely vulnerable and scared out of my mind whenever I thought about the "BIG" move (BIG move=two blocks south). To me it feels like a big deal because I'm changing wards, sleeping in a new house, and starting my last semester at BYU. But let us consider a freshman's circumstance: moving across the country to start college for the first time in a completely new environment with 6,000 other 18 year olds who don't know what they're doing. I suddenly feel like my transition isn't much of a change at all. I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to shift my perspective and realize that fears really do cloud our paradigm.

On the last day of FOL, we did an exercise that challenged our fears -- to the MAX.


I believe I have done just that. 

SO...Fall semester (plus the plethora of learning experiences you entail...) HERE I COME! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails