OK, my schedule this semester is pretty simple. Very demanding, but simple.
Required
1. COMMS 489 -- Capstone
2. ELANG 430R -- Capstone
3. BUSM 341 -- Marketing
For Fun
1. Symphony
2. ?????? This is where I'm stuck. I don't know which class to take. Technically I don't even need to take another class, but I want to. For "fun" and for intellectual stimulation/enjoyment.
I've narrowed my options and now I need YOUR help to decide:
1. SFL 325: Forming Marital Relationships
First, we will consider ideas and theories about why people form romantic relationships. Second, we will study the current trends in relationship formation, duration, and dissolution so that you can be a part of the dialogue that is occurring regarding intimate adult relationships in the United States. Third, we will study research on relationships by considering scientific findings about why marriages succeed and fail. Fourth, we will study the recent research that is being conducted on methods to enhance marriage relationships through educational and enrichment activities. Finally, we will consider how to integrate the information we study in this class into your belief system so that it is useful for you in your professional and personal endeavors while strengthening your beliefs in the gospel.
2. SFL 335: Family Adaptation and Resiliency
This class will cover information pertaining to how families, couples, and individuals cope and process normative and non-normative transitions and stressful events. This class is primarily about stress tied to specific events and transitions and how families process and handle that stress. We will cover topics and events that most families will encounter (death/dying, child bearing, etc) as well as topics that only some families will ace (addiction, divorce, etc). We will learn about theories, concepts, and practices that promote healthy and unhealthy responses to these stressful events. Our exploration in the class room will have us drawing from empirical articles, therapy practices and gospel teachings. I hope that through our exploration of how families cope with stressful events you will be better prepared to work with and help individuals and families. I also hope that through the intertwining of scholarly concepts and gospel principles presented in class, you will emerge with a better understanding of the Savior's love for all families and individuals.
Which class should I take? For those of you who read my blog consistently, you know how much I LOVED my SFL 223 class (marriage prep), and that is why I want to take another School of Family Life class. I think the professors are extremely interesting and the subject matter is very relevant.
So, which class would you take and why?
Thanks!!!
They both sound great! But I would go for the adaptation and resiliency one - it sounds like it has the most practical applications, both for yourself and for others you interact with.
ReplyDeleteBut you can't go wrong! Good luck!
My initial response is: take SFL 335. You learn about how to deal with stress and future stressful situations and it's very practical. I like practical. Also, I may have issues with "marriage" classes.
ReplyDeleteBut after admitting that it's probably just me who dislikes any sort of marriage class, I read through the description and thought, "okay, this sounds pretty cool." But then, all of a sudden it didn't sound so cool. I'm guessing the teacher wrote the description of the class and the fact that it's in a list form signifies that the professor is probably a list-making type of person. Which could also signify that she'll approach the class in a list-type way. There's nothing wrong with that, but we all know that marriage isn't exactly a "list" of 'to-do's' and 'to-dont's'. So, purely from the personality that emerged from the description of SFL 325, I'd say no.
I'm crazy. (See above). But I tried really hard to be helpful.
Good luck! Both classes will offer useful information, and both will come in handy someday.
I love you Katie. You're awesome.
I can see the practicality argument in favor of 335, but I'm going to take the other side for a moment. You already mentioned that your schedule is "very demanding". Might it be more fun and little bit less weighty to study patterns in relationship formation? I'm not saying that 335 would be doom-and-gloom, but child abuse, divorce, and addiction aren't exactly light fare. After all, "fun" is part of your stated objective in adding one of these classes. I think we would be unfair to say that 325 isn't as relevant. After all, as far as I know divorce isn't a current element in your life, while searching for an eternal companion is.
ReplyDeleteOf course, there would be great value in studying adaptation and resiliency. Not every family will face some of the heart-wrenching trails that you listed, but every family will face difficulties. I can see both sides, but, for what it's worth, I think SFL 325 sounds like the best fit.
Thank you all for your commentary!
ReplyDeleteSFL 325 yoooooo.
ReplyDeletebecause marriage is BOSS.
love you
see you soon.
word.