Monday, October 25, 2010

This is important

Dear Internet,

I must pose a question:

Should I graduate in April 2011 or delay a few months and make it August? 

Why would I even consider delaying, you ask? Well, here's the deal. After my semester in Jerusalem I will be traveling with my mother and a dear friend the week after. All the traveling will result in me missing April graduation. Now, I could settle with the fact that I can still graduate in April and simply skip out on all the pomp and circumstance. But what if I want all the pomp and circumstance? I worked hard to do well these past 3 years, dang it! And I kinda care about the blue bath robe, the floppy cardboard cap, and the totally cliche pictures around campus. That's like social proof that I stuck it out and excelled for four years isn't it? On the other hand, if I graduate in August I could use the summer to have fun and enjoy one last hurrah in Provo before it's all over. However, an August graduation means I will graduate alone because all my friends and classmates from my major will have signed off in April. Also, I've got this weird fear of being considered a "super senior"--especially since my goal since freshman year was to graduate early. Yet I've also got this strong pathetic desire to hold on to Provo life as long as reality will permit. Heck, if I can delay real life I might as well do it, right? right.....Maybe I just need to be a big girl and accept the fact that life. keeps. going. It's like I'm trying to force the Peter Pan syndrome on myself.

Isn't it interesting that I could technically graduate in December, yet I'm possibly skipping April graduation and delaying until August? 

Anyway, that's my dilemma. I know. Life altering. Sheesh....


1 comment:

  1. I say walk. Wait until August. You need that moment, that memory. It's okay that all of your friends will be gone because they would have been lost in the crowd anyway. You need the pictures and you need to feel that rush of pride as they call your name.

    That's what I would do anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails