
According to Sports Physical Therapists, runner's knee, clinically recognized as patellofemoral pain syndrome, "causes pain in and around the knee cap. The pain is caused by tracking issues with the knee cap that irritate the bony groove the knee cap actually sits in [...] It is most often caused by tight hamstrings and calves coupled with weak quads" (Avoid Runner's Knee). *Notice the patella labeled in the diagram.*
I also read that runner's knee is a biomechanical issue. Professor Neil Chasan of the Physical Therapy school at the University of Washington explains that "the architecture of the knee is ultimately determined by the architecture of the foot on one hand and the hip on the other." Therefore, if my feet aren't properly supported, my knee joints will follow suit. Or as Chasan puts it, "the knee, which is a simple joint, follows the tibia in space and since the tibia follows the talus, and since the talus follows the calcaneus, the position of the calcaneus at the time the foot hits the ground and its subsequent motion ultimately determines where the knee ends up in space." If you're like me, that jargon sounds like anatomy mumbo-jumbo. Here is my interpretation: Runner's knee is caused by overuse, downhill running or weak quads. I have experienced all three.
What is the solution? First, stretch those quads. I'm always a little lazy when it comes to warm-ups and warm-downs. I always prefer to just run right away without focusing on flexibility. Clearly, my 7th grade PE teacher was correct: warm-up for five minutes, stretch and then run. Second, ice, ice, ice! All the websites recommended icing my knee about 4-5 times a day for about 10-20 minutes. Third, take time to strengthen my quads by doing squats and other muscle isolating exercises. Lastly, (and the worst solution of all) stop running. Oh, and one more thing. I need one of these:

I've never been an anatomy student, but I'm realizing just how valuable it is to know about the intricacies of the body. I commend each and every person who has endured anatomy and physiology. I've always avoided the sciences, but I now feel a great appreciation for the people who study this type of education. Now, time to get better!
No comments:
Post a Comment