![]() |
| Egypt 2011 |
This week has been a disappointing one, academically speaking. People warned me about the difficult curriculum, but I hoped I might be an exception. My Old Testament and Judaism exams proved otherwise. Granted, I know I didn't study as diligently as I should have--heaven knows I'm not here to be a straight-A student. But I still feel slightly shafted whenever I don't perform to my potential. It reminds me of the times when I'd go to my violin lessons, expecting to sound great even though I'd only practiced once during the week. I always seem to forget that great results require hard work.
But all grades aside, I can confirm that I am learning--a lot. I might not have every verse of the OT memorized, but I am a lot more capable of reading a story, connecting the dots, and applying the concepts to my life. You could even say the doctrine is finally connecting with my heart.
I'm sad about my scores, but I'm happy about the long-term results.
And I've decided that sometimes, I just have to laugh...
like when I study all night for an Old Testament midterm and still forget how Saul became king.
Or when I get called to be the primary pianist, and even though I've had years of professional lessons, I still can't sightread Scripture Power. Instead, I end up fumbling all over the keyboard while the little kids scream at the top of their lungs. What a blessing--their vigor drowns my sad, sad attempts :-)
Or when my friends and I run all the way to the Jewish Quarter with high hopes of tasting the delicious Shabbat bread and miss the last loaf by literally 2 minutes!
Or when I look at my Islam midterm and realize I have to write a 20-page paper, single spaced in one week. Excellent. Not to mention all the rest of my homework...
I'm not complaining. I swear! Remember...this is all very funny :-)
Now that I'm writing it all down, I realize how much there is to look forward to. If you don't hear from me for the next few days it's most likely because I've locked myself away in the library. I'll see you on the other side!

No comments:
Post a Comment