Saturday, March 27, 2010

Who would have thought...


Tonight was totally epic!

I finally got to watch High School Muscial 3. I have three things to say about this movie:

1. loved it
2. Loved it!
3. LOVED IT!!

I don't know what it is about singing and dancing and everything combined in a musical that pulls my heart strings. But I felt totally inspired! Call me typical and juvenile. I don't care. Life IS a musical, and we should all me singing along.

As I was watching the movie I felt myself looking back into past. It's been three years since I graduated from Mountain View High School in Mesa, Arizona. So much has happened since that hot night in the overcrowded football stadium. My school colors changed from blue and red to maroon and gold, and then to gold and navy blue. I ate kebabs in Florence, ran laps around the Coloseum, cried while watching musicals in London's West End, applied to my major, and cried again as I tried to figure if my major was really the right choice. I fell in love, broke my heart and then grew as it mended. I learned how to serve. I learned how to care. I learned how to be sincere. I stumbled numerous times and felt sorry for myself more than once. I discovered some of my secrets. I uncovered new strengths. I tried to hide weaknesses, follies, and pains. I made real friends...and some not-so-real friends. I felt inspired, lost, afraid, calm, peaceful, worried, angry and more--all during different phases of this life-long quest to figure out why these experiences even matter.

OK, I digress. The point of all this is that...I've learned something. Perhaps it won't make sense, but I'm going to share my thoughts anyway.

Tonight I was blessed to discover that in order to be truly happy, we must remember that life isn't solely about meeting external expectations; it's about fulfilling internal righteous desires. Our righteous desires are the core of our eternal make up. Not the so called glory we receive from chasing after fleeting dreams. True, our accomplishments can bring temporary joy and delight. But eternal happiness isn't momentary. It's a long term blessing, something that doesn't fluctuate when the weather changes, grades falter, romantic relationships are abandoned, or our job turns to not. Happiness results from an internal commitment to love God by serving Him, and to serve Him because we love Him. Elder David A. Bednar described true and lasting happiness as, "a function of progressing to and through “letter of the law” obedience to public and institutional commandments and toward the spirit of devoted discipleship and a private, personal, and individual change of heart," (In a State of Happiness). Happiness comes from opening our hearts and following the counsel of the Spirit. Deep down, our hearts know exactly what we need. If we listen closely, we can [feel] the incremental promptings that teach us how to live "a more excellent way," (Ether 12:4,11). One that will result in an even greater level of happiness than we currently enjoy.

Some of you might be thinking, "Holy cow...does she really think that High School Musical 3 is that inspiring?" For me, YES! OK, not exactly. But, it is a catalyst for excitement. And that's simply because I'm a musical addict--no matter how cheesy the showing.

I know, I know. I'm dramatic. But I've already warned you about that. So my only suggestion today is LIVE your LIFE! Pray to know what you can do to become an even happier child today than you were yesterday. I know life is tough. I know you feel disappointed. But it's OK. Because you have the ability to make it a fresh start...with some help. You know the answers. Just put 'em to practice!

Wow. Who would have thought High School Musical, combined with some other inspiring materials, could have sparked so much excitement? Not I.

The above thoughts were inspired by the following:
2. "In a State of Happiness (Mormon 7:7)" -Elder Bednar, BYUI Devotional
3. 30 Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails